Yes to Marketing with YouTube

YouTube is the second-largest search engine in the world. This fact did not surprise me since I live with two boys who are obsessed with YouTube. I grew up seeing my brothers with their phones out during meals to watch YouTube videos. This seemed so annoying to me, but they were sucked into YouTube. It was a complete addiction, and honestly, I think they are still addicted to it.


YouTube has grown way past simple videos posted online. My family subscribes to YouTube TV instead of paying for Spectrum. It has all the necessary channels at a fraction of the price. At one point, YouTube TV was in a contract disagreement with ESPN. This caused a two-day shutdown of all ESPN channels on the platform. I have never seen my dad more lost. He even considered dropping YouTube TV to find another platform. YouTube TV is a top competitor of Netflix as well. The problem with YouTube TV is that I don't have unlimited access to shows. I have to record the shows to watch previous episodes. 

YouTube advertising is one of the smartest and most annoying features of the platform. From a marketing perspective, it helps companies reach a broad range of consumers in one place. In addition, most ads have a five-second wait time. This forces viewers to see the ad before skipping to the video. As a consumer, I hate this feature. The last thing I want to do is wait for my video to play. Obviously, I have no patience, but I am sure I am not the only one. 

Do you rush to skip the ads or do you watch the entire ad?



Comments

  1. I do agree that YouTubes advertising is the most annoying thing about the app but it is extremely effective. When it comes to waiting for the ads I don't mind as long as they are 5 seconds. If they are any longer or if YouTube decides to make you watch 2 ads I just pick a new video.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

College Life can be Sticky

Fast Freshman Year

Swinging into Spring Basketball