False News Facebook

Facebook is a tool of social media that I am largely unfamiliar with using. I always perceived Facebook as a platform for adults, which is true. When sporting events were moved to live films only, I downloaded Facebook, but I don't remember using it more than once. When we did our social media audits, I went in and deleted my account. 

My grandparents asked me about how I can tell where to buy stuff online. Apparently, my nana has been clicking on any Facebook adds she likes and ordering items. In the process, she got her card information stolen. My grandparents are in their late 70s so they have no clue how to tell the fake websites from the real ones. As long as they see a logo in the corner, they assume the account is legit. I hate how many people are taken advantage of through internet adds. 

This chapter referenced the effort Facebook is making to rid their pages of false advertisements and news. At the start of the pandemic, people were posting whatever they wanted to about Covid-19. Facebook was full of fake news, which led people into chaos. It is vital to Facebook's success to create jobs dedicated to shutting down these rumors. Social media companies need to make deleting false news a priority. It is impossible to please everyone, but people need to feel that they are using a safe, reliable source.

Comments

  1. This is to relatable because my aunt is the same way. She sees anything interesting on Facebook and clicks on it immediately. I agree that Facebook needs to make shutting down the false rumors a top priority.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

College Life can be Sticky

Fast Freshman Year

Swinging into Spring Basketball