Beginning in Bluffton

We played our first official scrimmage of the season last night! The entire day I was counting down the minutes until we left for Bluffton. I know Bluffton is right around the corner, but I was ready to play.

The Bluffton scrimmage is an annual scrimmage. Both teams are top competitors in their respective conferences, so why wouldn't we want to play each other? The Bluffton scrimmage looked slightly different this year than last. Last year, we played around 20 girls, and this year we only have 12 healthy players. This is quite the adjustment, but I think we handled it well. Our team understands the lineup looks entirely different this year. We only returned two players from the starting lineup. The rest of the starters were seniors who graduated. 

This team has an immense amount of potential for this season. Even though we didn't return starters, various rotation players are back this season. We are going to be a young team, but I will never use our age as an excuse. Last night, we showed how fast we want to play this year. Our guards are quick on the ball and know how to push the floor. It is so fun when you have a group of players who want to out-hustle the other team. I was amazed at how comfortable I felt on the court last night. As I have mentioned in past blogs, I felt confused all the time last season. Quite frankly, I was hoping to not mess up instead of just playing basketball. I didn't worry about messing up during the scrimmage. Coach Cass told us before the game, "you will never play a perfect game of basketball in your life." She is entirely right. Why would you stress yourself to reach perfection when it will never happen? You will always have something to work on to be a better player. 

We travel down to Wittenberg on Halloween for our next scrimmage! I was slightly bummed about not having a home scrimmage this year. Our first five games are on the road though, so it'll be great preparation. It has been a weird adjustment to find a routine with basketball again. I forgot how exhausted I feel, and it is only October. When you see me in February, just smile. We only have two weeks until we leave for our Pennsylvania trip! As always, I will continue to post updates about basketball season so stay tuned.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

College Life can be Sticky

Fast Freshman Year

Swinging into Spring Basketball